Saturday, January 23, 2010

Doing Nothing is Something

When we occupy ourselves with many activities, we reduce the quality of our well-being. If we wish to preserve ourselves, it is important that we maintain our freshness, good humour, joy and compassion.

One way is to spend a lazy day doing nothing, and just be content with being there. It's not easy as we are so used to running around doing things. We are actually quite strong mentally if we can be smiling and relaxed when not doing anything. Contrary to what most of us think, doing nothing can enhance the quality of our well-being. As Thay aptly said, "Doing nothing is something."

Source: "Answers from the Heart" by Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I was borned into a Taoist family and have been a Buddhist since my school days. However, the real turning point is in the year 2000 when I renewed my refuge in the 3 Jewels with Kangyurwa Khensur Rinpoche and received extensive teachings overseas as well as those organized by Amitabha Buddhist Centre over the years. My teachers include His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, Kangyurwa Khensur Rinpoche, Choden Rinpoche, Khen Rinpoche Lama Lhundrup, Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Thay Thich Nhat Nanh and Geshe Chonyi. Since then, my love for Dharma knowledge and passion for understanding reality has grown. Losang Tenkyong which in Tibetan, means spreading or preserving the Dharma is my refuge name. Wonderous Service of the Heart is the name given to me by Plum Village, basing on my aspirations to truly benefit others.