Thursday, December 17, 2009

Non-discrimination and Inclusiveness

To understand non-discrimination and inclusiveness, let's consider how our right and left hand co-exist harmoniously and peacefully.

When our right hand is in pain, our left hand takes good care of it and vice versa. Our right hand does not say to our left hand, " Since I took care of you the last time, you must now take care of me."  Our right hand does not have superiority complex by having the thought that "I am the best" or "I am better than the left hand". Similarly, our left hand does not harbour inferiority complex. As there is no comparison between both hands, there is also no thoughts thinking "I am his equal".

In summary, our 2 hands are free from the 3 complexes: complex of superiority, inferiority and equality. As a result, harmony is perfected and peace and happiness prevail. When we take care of our right hand, we are also taking care of our left hand. Our left hand understands that our right hand has not been careful when it gets hurt. Not only does our left hand not become angry with our right hand, it does not blame our right hand by saying, "You are the cause of my suffering and I demand justice, so you should be punished."

Love where there is non-discrimination, inclusiveness and equanimity is True Love. When a person suffers, both suffer. When a person is happy, both are happy and this is True Love. It is no longer possible to attribute happiness to an individual. One's happiness is his/her happiness. His/her happiness is one's happiness. Similarly, one's suffering is his/her suffering. His/her suffering is one's suffering. This is True Love.

Source: Teachings by Thay at Plum Village in Jul 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I was borned into a Taoist family and have been a Buddhist since my school days. However, the real turning point is in the year 2000 when I renewed my refuge in the 3 Jewels with Kangyurwa Khensur Rinpoche and received extensive teachings overseas as well as those organized by Amitabha Buddhist Centre over the years. My teachers include His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, Kangyurwa Khensur Rinpoche, Choden Rinpoche, Khen Rinpoche Lama Lhundrup, Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Thay Thich Nhat Nanh and Geshe Chonyi. Since then, my love for Dharma knowledge and passion for understanding reality has grown. Losang Tenkyong which in Tibetan, means spreading or preserving the Dharma is my refuge name. Wonderous Service of the Heart is the name given to me by Plum Village, basing on my aspirations to truly benefit others.